Saturday, July 24, 2010

King Farrokh

You can picture it, what it would be like after it happens, but it is still a shock because you did not think it would be coming when it did.
Kashmira Cooke

The statement was one of the hardest things to do. After it was done, he knew his life was over. (1)


On Sunday morning his breath changed. Mary came and went, his parents called up, the people just stopped coming in because of the state he was in. A couple minutes later he was gone. (1)

The world into which little Farrokh was born, was a placid tropical paradise, called Zanzibar. As a young boy he started studying Zoro-astronism in the Fire Temple where he was confronted with the main idea of this religion that life is a celebration. When he was nine his parents decided that his education would be better served by an Indian boarding school. In summer 1955 he started attending St. Peter's School. Singing in public at school festivities with the band called The Hectics, he became a good singer and an outstanding pianist. At that time his artistic talent was discovered too. After having failed the class term examination he came back to Zanzibar where he spent two years. In January 1964, a bloody revolution broke out in Zanzibar and his family left to the safety England. In autumn that year Farrokh enrolled at Isleworth Polytechnic school in West London. He graduated in spring 1966, receiving his A-levels. In autumn 1966 he entered the Ealing School of Art where he studied graphic design. Their friends remembered him sketching everything and everybody. He was a great artist, he had a really good idea for detail. Inspite of the fact that he was really good on showmanship, the band which he wished to play with, was not sure if he really had the sort of the technical singing thing. Eventually, in 1968 he joined the band and changed his name which helped him to be the person he wanted to be. For the public he was going to be a different character now. (1,2)

One night in May 1983, an unexpected and unforgettable love affair was born. He was fascinated by her voice, wanting to hear her again and again. And then they met. The day when it happened was so exceptional for both of them. They spent the whole night together. He was playing the piano, improvising; she was singing. It took until sunrise. He loved the music and she was the music. (1)

He also liked holding parties. At his 39th birthday he held one of the most extraordinary parties ever. It took three weeks. But then, suddenly, he changed his life completely. He stopped being promiscuous and settled down.

In the late 80s he bought a flat in Montreux to find peace of mind. The news about his illness was equally devastating for all those close to him, but he wanted them to know. He did not dwell on the disease. Even he suffered so dreadfully, he had never told anybody about it. He stayed positive until the last minute of his life. (1)

1. Freddie Mercury, The Untold Story
2. Wikipedia - Freddie Mercury